Help for the mapping tool "Make a map"
This [Make a map] tool uploads geodata in GPX format at our geo data repository, transfers the data to ESRI shapefiles and generates a mapserver map definition.
You can see so those maps at https://maps.offene-kartierung.de/maps.html, the data at https://maps.offene-kartierung.de/data/
Make a map is under developement. So not all functions are implemented yet nor works this tool all time as you might expect ;) See MappingWorkflow for more detailed technical infos (2006-09-20)
1. Get data
- Transfer the GPS data to your computer. See description at CamoDatenTransfer
- Use GPX format for saving your data
- Naming conventions:
- To allow easy identification of a file: include date (YYYY-MM-DD), short project name, type of data (waypoints or tracks)
- Example for a waypoint file name: "osm_2006-05-26_freedom_wp.gpx"
- Open the waypoint file in your favourite editor
- Edit the a name of each waypoint
- Add description and a link to an URL if available
<wpt lat="53.552595" lon="9.936061">
<desc>A short description</desc>
<link>URL to a related Webpage, e.g. a page of this wiki</link>
- Rules: No special chars, no german "umlaute".
- Otherwise you have to change the enconding declaration from "UTF-8" to "ISO-8859-1" (at the first line of the GPX file, like this:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1" standalone="no" ?>
- You can validate your GPX file with [validome]. please select "schema", otherwise the validation will fail.
2. Load data and generate a map
- Use the [Make a map] tool
- Define a label for your map.
- Upload the tracks and waypoints, each as a single GPX file.